Matt is a Director in Protiviti’s Governance, Risk and Compliance team in London. He joined Protiviti in 2005 prior to which he worked for Arthur Andersen and Deloitte. Matt specialises in helping organisations design and implement sustainable risk management arrangements.
- Conduct Risk - Matt has worked as the interim Group Head of Conduct Risk for the UK’s largest independent insurance broker. In direct response to a supervisory requirement, he has helped establish a conduct risk framework that has been rolled out across the Group. This was supported by the development of a suite of conduct policies which Matt was responsible for integrating into the Group’s Risk and Compliance Monitoring activities and the development of an integrated assurance model. He has worked closely with the skilled person appointed by the regulator to manage the firm’s engagement and help provide a successful outcome for the client.
- Enterprise Risk Management – Matt spent 3 years seconded as the Group Head of Risk at a global mixed activity Insurance organisation. As part of this role Matt was responsible for designing, implementing and embedding a Global Risk Management framework across 20 countries and enhancing the organisation’s governance arrangements. He was responsible for managing the closure of a number of regulatory findings, preparing the Group for a number of supervisory visits, helping establish the firm’s college of supervisors and providing regular briefings to the Main Board on key risk matters. As part of this role, Matt successfully recruited a Group Risk team from scratch and helped transition his role into a permanent member of staff.
- Solvency 2 Pillar 2 lead: Whilst working at the above client Matt was asked to take responsibility for the Risk and Governance work stream of the client’s Solvency II programme. As part of this work, Matt led a team of Protiviti and client staff in assessing the regulatory requirements of Solvency II in relation to risk management and Corporate Governance and implementing the required changes across the Group as part of 3 year programme.
- Risk and governance transformation - Matt has helped re-design the governance and operational risk management procedures for a global department of a major international retail and commercial bank. For 2 years Matt was responsible for managing a Protiviti team tasked with re-engineering the governance and operational risk management processes in line with the Group standards and ensuring their complete adaptation across 10 different countries via a standard Target Operating Model.
- Insurance risk transformation – Matt has worked with a UK Life Insurance company to review their existing enterprise risk and control management activities and to identify areas for process improvements. This work required Matt to review the client’s risk categorisation model, their approach for identifying and assessing risks as well as the supporting Key Risk Indicator and defining risk appetite levels. Matt provided the client with recommendations to help streamline and enhance their risk management activities and helped provide an assessment of the client’s current compliance with the published Solvency II regulatory requirements.
- BSc Geography - University of Durham
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Certified in the Governance of Enterprise IT (CGEIT)
- Certified ITIL Practitioner
- Institute of Internal Auditors