John Lyons is a Managing Director with Protiviti Inc. and leads the company’s Tax Advisory Service practice. He has more than 20 years experience in accounting and is responsible for the administration of a wide variety of tax engagements encompassing the full range of tax services provided to corporations, partnerships and individuals.
He specializes in tax planning, and strategies for partnerships and personal taxpayers. His expertise includes corporate taxation, reorganization, debt restructuring, and merger and acquisition tax planning.
Representative Engagements Include
- Provided tax consulting and prepared consolidated returns for a publicly traded retailer with over 100 corporations and filings in more than 30 states. Involved in the AMT planning for the entity in a year when the entity recovered several hundred million in a law suit settlement
- Recovered funds in excess of $1.5 million through the amendment of consolidated corporate returns for a large retailer after restating earnings for several prior returns. Generated $15 million in refunds through the recreation of books and records post filing for bankruptcy
- Responsible for the tax planning of a major Washington, DC area developer whose interests included more than 50 commercial real estate partnerships and S corporations. Maximized the return to partners, shareholders and creditors as well as the proper allocations of all income (cash and phantom) associated with the resolution and liquidation of all partnership entities
- Responsible for the ongoing planning and compliance for one of Baltimore’s prominent developers. Engaged by the partnership, after the bankruptcy of the general partner, to help with the continued operations of the partnership while the new general partner rebuilt the enterprise which is now valued in excess of $90 million. Currently working with the partners to achieve the divestiture of certain partners through like kind exchanges and redemptions
- Expert testimony regarding the ownership of tax refunds exceeding $2.6 million generated by losses of a consolidated group where the subsidiary was in bankruptcy and the parent was not. Represented the bankruptcy trustee and was able to secure the refunds for the bankruptcy estate. He continues to prepare the consolidated filing for the entity
- Testified as an expert in tax and accounting matters before the United States Bankruptcy Court and the state court in Pennsylvania
- Bachelors in Science, Accounting, Stockton State College
- Masters in Business Administration, University of Maryland, College Park
- Juris Doctor, University of Maryland, College Park
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)