Charles Goldstein is responsible for leading the company’s Restructuring & Litigation Services practice. He has more than 25 years experience providing financial consulting services and expert testimony in a variety of areas including corporate restructuring, bankruptcy consulting, fiduciary services, financial investigations, and complex commercial litigation.
Mr. Goldstein provides restructuring, turnaround fiduciary and crisis management services to a variety of companies as well as financial advisory and investigative services to debtors, secured and unsecured creditors, trustees, and other interested parties. He performs business valuations for use in commercial litigation and bankruptcy matters. Additionally, he directs due diligence and consulting services for both buy and sale side engagements as well as a loan investment analysis.
Mr. Goldstein also directs forensic accounting investigations where he provides accounting, investigative services, damage calculations and expert witness testimony in fraud, bankruptcy, and litigation matters.
Representative Engagements Include
- Served as CRO for a $150 million health care IT entity. Oversaw the company’s restructuring efforts including, sell-side due diligence, advising company regarding its strategic direction, and various financial and operational efficiency efforts.
- Served as Receiver for The Disthene Group, Inc., a holding company whose wholly owned subsidiaries includes a resort hotel, mineral mine, and timberland.
- Advised investment group on financial matters in its acquisition of a professional sports team.
- Lead investment due diligence team in assessing transaction risks related to a home healthcare company.
- Served as financial advisor to the debtor, Thornburg Mortgage, a multi-billion dollar REIT.
- Served as financial advisor to the debtor, Adfitech, Inc., a mortgage loan quality control entity. Provided expert testimony regarding plan confirmation. Also assisted in the preparation of asset purchase agreement.
- Provided advice to a $4 billion retailer in its capital and operational restructuring efforts. Efforts lead to a new $600 million loan facility.
- Served as CRO for PhyAmerica, a $400 million national emergency room operator, operating the entity through due diligence process and eventual sale.
- Assisted $6 billion international insurance company in its efforts to minimize losses related to various real estate loan deficiencies.
- Served as CRO for a not-for-profit property development and leasing company.
- Assisted client in consideration of acquisition of furniture manufacturer with production facilities in China.
- Assisted client in its review of a criticized commercial loan portfolio.
- Served as the fiduciary in a variety of Chapter 7 & 11 bankruptcy cases in various jurisdictions, managing the liquidation or reorganization of the debtor’s assets, negotiating sales and settlements of multi-million dollar transactions, and resolving claim disputes.
- Serves as Chapter 7 Trustee for Just for Feet. Managed the liquidation of the former $750 million revenue corporation, disallowed $66 million in administrative and priority claims, identified over $600 million in duplicate or amended claims and collected over $31 million in preference recoveries.
- Serves as Chapter 7 Trustee for Universal Marketing Inc. and five affiliated companies overseeing the consolidation of the affiliates and conducting an extensive review into the activities of the debtors including tracing in the amount of approximately $2B in cash disbursement activity.
- Serves as Chapter 7 Trustee for K Capital Corporation. Currently pursuing a claim to treat K Capital parri passu with K Bank in order to recover a proportional basis of joint loan proceeds and is conducting an extensive review to file avoidance actions to recover property of the estate for the three year period prior to bankruptcy filing.
- Appointed Plan Administrator and a director of the liquidating entities for NEGT-Energy Trading, overseeing the distribution of over $600 million to creditors. Led Estate from initial distribution estimates to allowed unsecured creditors from, on average, 20 to 30 cents on the dollar to 60 to 70 cents on the dollar.
- Provided expert witness testimony in a number of United States Bankruptcy and District Courts and various state and local courts on a variety of financial/operational issues.
Education and Certifications
- Bachelors in Arts, Economics, University of Maryland
- Masters in Business Administration, University of Maryland
- Juris Doctor, University of Maryland
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor (CIRA)
- Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF)